3-Days Seminar on “Fundamentals of Systems Engineering” By Dr Thomas Huynh
23 April – 25 April 2019
9.00am – 5.00pm
Venue: National University of Singapore
A successful project to buy or develop a system requires a smart buyer or a competent developer of the system. In either case, knowledge and sound practices of systems engineering are crucial. This course elucidates systems engineering and presents fundamental elements of systems engineering that form a basis for such knowledge and practices of systems engineering. It focuses on design and development of systems, emphasizes life-cycle engineering, delineates systems development life-cycle process, and details a paradigm of systems architecting. It accentuates the role of systems engineering in system operations, maintenance, and support. It also introduces requirements management and systems engineering management. Further, it includes some examples of systems engineering actually practiced in industry.
- Gain a general knowledge of systems engineering and build upon it a foundation for an in-depth exploration of systems engineering
- Achieve an understanding of systems engineering process and systems development life-cycle process, its phases and associated products, and particularly the conceptual design phase
- Gain an understanding of common systems engineering activities carried out by both system buyers and system developers
- Understand and apply a paradigm of systems architecting
- Gain knowledge of test and evaluation required of systems development
- Explore applications of systems engineering with an example of systems development
- Understand the role of systems engineering in systems operations, maintenance, and support
- Gain a general knowledge of and appreciate the importance of requirements management and systems engineering management
At the conclusion of the course, participants should be able to:
- Articulate systems engineering
- Distinguish a system from a system of systems
- Describe systems development life-cycle process and, in particular, its conceptual design phase
- Know where to start in architecting a system
- Know some methods and tools supporting systems engineering
- Identify common systems engineering activities carried out by both system buyers (acquirers) and system developers
- Identify test and evaluation methods employed in systems development
- Apply systems engineering in systems operations, maintenance, and support
- Engage in requirements management and systems engineering management
- Use the course
Who Should Attend
- Practicing systems engineers engaged in engineering systems development
- Engineers in conventional engineering fields wanting to become systems engineers
- Technical and project managers responsible for engineering systems development
- Systems acquisition managers (buyers) in government and industry
- Professionals in non-engineering fields interested in applying systems engineering in the development of complex non-engineering systems
– Course Overview
– Systems and Systems Engineering
– Systems Life-Cycle Process
– Systems Development Models
– System Design & Process
– Conceptual System Design
– Systems Architecting
– Test & Evaluation
– System Operations, Maintenance, and Support
– Systems Engineering Management
– Requirements Management
– Application of Systems Engineering to Systems Development
Dr. Thomas V. Huynh has 25 years of industrial experience in systems engineering and analysis and project management. At Lockheed Martin, he held various systems engineering and leadership positions, performed research in various technical fields, and contributed to a number of system development programs.
Recently, Dr. Huynh was a visiting associate professor with Temasek Defense Systems Institute and Division of Engineering and Technology Management at National University of Singapore, where he taught Systems Engineering, Model-Based Systems Engineering, Large-Scale Systems Engineering, Operational Test and Evaluation, and Graduate Seminar In Defense Technology and Systems. He also conducted systems engineering courses for Singapore’s DSO National Laboratories, Singapore Mass Rapid Transit Corporation (SMRT), and Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
Prior to that, Dr. Huynh was an associate professor at the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) in Monterey, CA, U.S.A. — teaching graduate courses, performing research in systems engineering and analysis and project management, and advising master’s and doctoral students. He also conducted these courses — Systems Engineering: Tools & Methods, Simulation-Based Engineering of Complex Systems, System Validation and Verification, and Case Studies in Systems Engineering — in the Systems Engineering Certificate Program at the University of California at Irvine (UCI) Extension. He was also a part-time lecturer at San Jose State University, CA, U.S.A., teaching in Department of Physics and Department of Mathematics and Statistics.
Dr. Huynh served as Founding Editor and as Editor-in-Chief of Systems, an open-access journal, and also as a member of the Editorial Board of Journal of Enterprise Transformation. He is a member of Systems Engineering Advisory Committee at UCI Extension.
Enquiry and Registration
Please contact Ms Queenie Sim at email@example.com or +65 6516 5838 for more information.
Please refer here for more information.