The Temasek Research Fellowship (TRF) is a scheme aimed at recruiting outstanding young researchers with PhD degree in science or technology. The scheme provides young researchers an opportunity to conduct and lead research that is relevant to defence. It offers:
- Independence to pursue a research career in Singapore
- A 3-year flexible research grant of up to S$1 million that commensurate with the scope of work, with an option to extend up to a further 3 years
- Possible conversion to tenure-track appointment at the end of the TRF
- Tenure-track appointment may be offered with the TRF award if the candidate meets the required criteria of the university. Please indicate the position applying for in the application form.
- Attractive and competitive remuneration
The TRF fellow may conduct research at Temasek Laboratories or other research entity at Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD).
Prospective candidates are encouraged to discuss their research proposal with the relevant Programme managers (PM) before submission of the application.
The research areas for TRF 2016 are provided below:
- Adaptive Camouflage Techniques and Technologies(Programme Manager: Mr See Tian Wei)
- Cyber Security for Autonomous Systems (Programme Manager: Mr Cheng Kuo Huwe Leon)
- Perception under Adverse Conditions for UGV Navigation (Project Manager: Mr Cheng Li Wei)
Other fundamental areas of science or technology, where a breakthrough may be of interest to defence and security, will also be considered.
Outstanding scientists and researchers in the relevant discipline of science or technology from a reputable university are eligible to apply for the TRF. Candidate must possess a PhD degree AND postdoctoral working experience. PhD degree must have been conferred at the point of submission of application.
Research project proposals which are already funded by other agencies or being considered for funding by other agencies are not eligible for funding under the TRF scheme.The TRF fellow shall not apply for other funding support, unless approval has been given by the TRF funding agency.
Application Period for Current Call
The current TRF grant call is open on 1 July 2016 and close on 23 September 2016.
All applications (both hardcopies and softcopies) must be received by 23 September 2016, 12 noon (Singapore Time).
Submission should be sent to:
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By post:Temasek Laboratories (SUTD, 8 Somapah Road, Singapore 487372)
Please complete the forms included in the application package and provide the required documents in the relevant order.
All documents must be provided in English and submitted in Microsoft Word format unless stated otherwise. All translated documents will need to be duly certified.
- TRF Application Form
- Detailed curriculum vitae including (but not limited to) the following information:
- personal particulars
- education history
- employment history
- language proficiency
- availability status
- number of Masters/ PhD Students supervised, if applicable
- publications listing, including H-index, number of citations, impact factor where possible
- research accomplishments, including previous works and works in process
- Certificates – Basic and post graduate qualifications including detailed transcripts of grades/ scores (PDF format)
- At least 3 recent international references/referral letters (Word or PDF format), complete with each referee’s one-page Curriculum Vitae. Referee reports can also be emailed directly to email@example.com with the candidate name noted in the subject field by 23 September 2016.
Please use the Checklist provided to ensure all required documents have been submitted. Incomplete submissions will NOT be accepted.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Applicants will be shortlisted by a TRF Review Panel, and will be invited to Singapore to present their research plans, meet local researchers and identify potential collaborators in February/March 2017. Shortlisted applicants from outside Singapore will receive an allowance to cover their travel and accommodation expenses.
Please contact us at: